Wednesday, February 29, 2012

"Ms. Judkins! My Water Broke!"

Pregnancy unit in Child Development = electronic babies and pregnancy bellies.  This sure has been and is going to continue to be interesting.  Today in my first class I picked on two guys and one girl to try on the bellies.  They had a lot of fun walking around and of course the guys love touching the new bumps on their chest.  (Mature high school students)

So I am helping the last girl get her belly on.  It takes a bit to Velcro everything in place.  From  the front of the room I hear "Ms. Judkins! My water broke!"  Yup, one of the boys had water all down the front of his pants.  The cap to the water pouch inside the belly had come party off.  The poor boy literally looked like he wet himself.  A lot.  Let's just say he is getting some major extra credit.

So the rest of the day was going great today.  Adult Roles came.  We talked about divorce today.  Super touchy subject for my classes because 98% of them have dealt with divorce directly.  Crazy I know.  So remember the mock wedding we had a few weeks ago?  Well it was time for me to divorce the lovely couple.  I am in the middle of my lesson when the school police officer walks in.  "I am here to see (we will call this student Howard) Howard." I look over and Howard's face is white.  He looks so scared!  The officer says he has some paper for Howard.  And then the officer adds they are divorce papers.  This is when my class catches on.  I had planned for this to happen.  I just didn't plan on my student almost going into shock because he was SOOO scared.  Note to self, if I ever do this activity again I need to make sure the student I am doing it to does not have previous history with the school officer.

Being a teacher can be pretty entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment