Sunday, December 18, 2011

Lets take a walk down memory lane!

First of all, it is official that Emily and I should never be allowed to watch anything that combines T-Swift and Saturday Night Live... Hay is for horses and chicken and fish! Hit me three times and I'll grant you your wish!

So today I was remembering my childhood and the experiences I had that have shaped me to the crazy amazing person that I am.  So here we go!

My Family
The first memory I thought of is one of my favorites.  I have had a best friend literally since birth.  Jamie and I have spent years and years together making memories.  One time she and I were sitting in her basement being weird and talking about the weird things that we usually talked about when her dad walked in and said "Wanna hear a joke?" (John Beal is a very quiet and shy man so he didn't often say much to me)  Of course we were excited to hear what he had to say.  This was his joke, "Once upon a time there was a girl named Jamie..." and then he broke into a fit of laughter.  Yup, that was his joke.  What a silly man.  Another joke he told us was "Once Melissa was riding her bike and someone threw a refrigerator at her..." followed by another fit of laughter.  What a silly man.  The Beal home has always been one of my homes.  I will never forget the time when Cari and I decided that the boys who took care of their lawn were super hunky cute.  So... we put socks in our shirts to make us "bigger"...  Yup.  Beals also had a playhouse in their backyard that we used to love to play in.  Their swimming pool was the best!  Endless hours of pretending to be mermaids and failing to swim like a mermaid.  We also used to hide from cars in their front yard.  On the way to the Beal home I would have to walk through a section of tall grass that always had snakes in it.  We never saw them but we could hear them.
After singing for the Winter Olympics

My house was always a fun place too.  The neighbor kids and I used to play Swiss Family Robinson in our front tree.  Scotty and I were always the mom and dad...  My neighbor Melissa and I used to make concoctions of leaves and tomatoes and put them in the low parts of our front yard.  We were convinced it was witch bait and that we would catch all the witches in the neighborhood with it.  My family has a swing set with a basket swing on it.  We used to pretend it was our canoe and we would sing "just around the river bend" over and over.

Halloween when I was 9.  ( I used to be the tallest  kid in my family...)
When I was younger we ruled the neighborhood.  As kids we ran free and wild.  We used to ride our bikes as fast as we could through the cemetery and pray that the ghosts would not grab our bikes so we would fall.  Melissa and I were always trouble makers but never on purpose.  One time Melissa rolled my little sister Emily down the stairs because she was too heavy to carry.  Not the best idea we ever had.  She and I also had a plan to catch the local cutie and feed him gumballs and kiss him... I don't know where we came up with these ideas...  We used to LOVE eating open faced grilled cheese with sprinkles.  Yep, I recently tried it again... it is as disgusting as it sounds.

There were also some scary times in my childhood.  Once I was down the street being babysat when the neighbor dog got into the yard.  My babysitter tried to get it back over the fence but the dog attacked her and ripped her lip down to her chin.  It was SO SCARY!  I will also never forget when Elizabeth Smart was kidnapped.  Even though it was the middle of the summer I refused to sleep with my windows open in fear that someone would kidnap me.  My fears became worse when there was a man in the neighborhood that tried to kidnap one of the girls I went to school with.  I think I still have a slight fear of being kidnapped...
Ben and Em when we were all young




From playing soccer to running the neighborhood, my childhood was never dull.  I will never forget a lot of these experiences.  They have made me who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment