Friday, December 16, 2011

Teacher's Pet?

So my whole life I have been the "teacher's pet."  Its not like I work hard to make teachers like me, they just do.  I think I was born to be a teacher and I feel like my teachers have always been able to see that.  Somehow this always creates a bond.  I remember my first grade teacher inviting me to her daughter's birthday party because she thought we would be really good friends.  Made me feel good.  I was always the one my teachers picked to do little jobs for them.  Sometimes I was even put in charge of the class when they had to step out.  Yep... I was that kid a lot of other kids hated.  Elementary, junior high, high school... teachers LOVED me.

So, is it surprising that this same thing happened throughout college?  The instructors in my department have asked me numerous times to help them.  Two of them even came to me and offered me teaching assistant positions.  This same pattern has been true for my instructors outside of my major department.  When one of your professors asks you if you would like to babysit their child because you are someone they want to have around their child consider it a compliment.  I sure do!

My whole life I have been the teacher's pet and my whole life I have been in denial about it.  Well today is the day I accept it.  I am a teacher's pet! (In the cleanest and truest sense of the title)  That is my role in the world!  And I am here to tell you this isn't always a bad thing.  The teacher's pet title is only bad when you are the brown nosing teacher's pet, which I AM NOT!  I don't have to do much to make teachers like me ;) I am excited to be an actual teacher and see the other teacher's pets out there.  We tend to be a hated breed, but if you get to know us we are really great!  Just ask my friends!

2 comments: