Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Teaching Kids about Reproduction

I had the awkward wonderful awesome funny experience of teaching reproduction to my high school students.  My background knowledge of this is very limited (duh) to what is found in textbooks and discussed in college classes.  I was a little bit nervous for the questions they might ask, but I actually had almost all the answers!

*Warning*
Don't continue reading if this topic makes you uncomfortable.

Did you know that the epididymis in a man is a mile long? CRAZY!

You CANNOT get pregnant by sitting in a hot tub with a boy.  It is not possible.  This is why students should not believe everything they hear on Glee.

Dr. Pepper does not make your reproductive organs smell "good"

Yes, women can die in child birth from pushing too hard.  I don't know all the science but it can cut off a nerve in the brain stem.  (This led to a short discussion on how Elvis really could have died while going to the bathroom)

Caffeine mutates sperm.  It is true.

There are many more questions we discussed but I don't feel like those are appropriate to tell you.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me!  I am becoming quite the reproduction expert.

No comments:

Post a Comment