Monday, January 30, 2012

Things Students Say

The other day there was a speaker in my class from the Art Institute.  He was talking to my students about marketing design.  He asked where in the department store has the most light.  One particularly outspoken student quickly responded "Over the milk!"  It took a second for everyone to comprehend what he just said and then the speaker had to quickly explain the difference between a department store and a grocery store.  I'm not supposed to laugh at these things, but I could not hold it in!

So the topic of marriage has been on my mind for the past while.  I am in the middle of the Marriage Unit of my Adult Roles class.  So, not only am I teaching about marriage twice every other day, I am planning lessons about marriage.  One of the assignments my class is working on is a wedding budget presentation.  They are looking for examples of items they would purchase for their wedding.  They are discovering that having a wedding can be very expensive.  Anyway, when I was explaining this assignment to one class a girl asked if I had done my wedding plan.  She meant it as "have I made an example for them for this assignment."  I understood that and she did as well, but the girl next to her quickly said "She isn't married!  That is rude!"  In my head I was laughing and very much not offended.  The two girls looked at me in horror waiting for I don't know what.  I smiled at them and told them that I could make an example of what I would do for the assignment and quickly moved on with the assignment explanation.

There are many times throughout the day that I have to turn around and pretend I am looking at the board while I get control of the fit of giggling that is about to escape.  I have to remind myself how old these students are and that when I was their age I often had "blond" moments as well.  (my friends are probably laughing because they know how often I still have blond moments)

What are some funny things you have heard the younger generation say?

5 comments:

  1. LOL you have spent time at my house....you know how stupid some of the things are that come out of the "mouths of babes"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blond without the "e" is just not gender specific :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha...I still laugh at some of the things my students said to me. At the end of the day when you are frustrated, they make you smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a student tell me that her mom made a costume for her and sewed it completely by hand. I asked why she didn't use a machine and the girl told me, "this was a long time ago, like in the 2003's...!" My coop teacher and I about died laughing.

    ReplyDelete